Monday, November 17, 2008

STREP :( (and a story about Helen Keller)

Who has it???? Poor little Em that's who. She had such a rough night last night.
She was so pitiful. Her fever got up to 101.5 and she was just miserable. At 4 a.m. when I gave her tylenol, up it came. So she didn't go to sch0ol or course and neither did her mom. We went to the doc at 10 and found out it was strep. So she is on meds now and just a little bit ago (this is around 2 or so I guess), she finally said she felt a little better. I know she must be somewhat better because she is actually talking a little. She has been almost silent since yesterday afternoon. And for those of you who know Em, if she ain't talking, something ain't right. (yes, I teach English---I know I said ain't). She will stay home tomorrow with her daddy. She should be good to go on Wednesday. Right now she is watching Lilo and Stitch, The Movie (Pay per View) and is quite content. I should be folding clothes. (does that ever END???)

A little story from last night.....Em woke up (or sort of woke up---she was still sort of sleeping I think---) and I went in her room and felt her forehead and she was soooo hot. I was about to go get her some more tylenol or motrin and she said "Momma, Miss Miley had this book about Helen Keller in class. And Helen Keller wasn't blind and "death" when she was born. But she got blind and "death" when she was very little because she had a fever and momma, I don't want to get blind or "death" with my fever. " And then she started to cry. I just held her and said "Emily, you won't get blind or deaf from fever. That was a long time ago and they didn't have medicine for fever like they do now. You won't ever get blind or deaf from fever." I was sort of smiling inside but I was tearing up too because she was meaning what she was saying in all sincerity. After I told her that, she stopped crying immediately and just went to sleep.
What kids don't think about huh?? I have to tell Miss Miley (her Lang. Arts teacher) about that conversation. Sweet but sad. Steven just shook his head and said "that girl is all drama."
That's our Helen Keller story. You may have heard of those helen keller jokes, we have the helen keller second grader story.

Well, hopefully Em will have a restful sleep tonight. (and so will her mom) And I hope Sissy doesn't get strep now.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

That is a sweet and sad story. I am glad she is starting to feel better!

Susan said...

Well, thank goodness you were able to calm her fears about going blind and death due to fever. Poor baby. She's already sick, but then she's got to worry about that, too. Give her a big hug and a kiss from her Nanny, and another one from little Petunia. I hope she's lots better tomorrow. xoxoxoxo

Sherri said...

Bless her heart! Poor little Em, she feels awful and then the Helen Keller thing. Bless your heart too. It is so hard to have a sick one. I'll be praying that you and Em have a good night's rest and feel much better.

Susan said...

In response to your comment on my blog, I never said your punctuation was annoying. I just wondered if you could write without them. And you did! Uh-oh... does this mean that you're going to ask me to talk without using my hands?

Mab said...

Nanny Sue talk without using her hands???? As if she could! (oops, excuse that punctuation mark I just used please.)
love ya.